The "Lemnian Earth" was thick reddish clay, known since the antiquity for its many healing properties.
It was collected from the Agiochoma area, near the settlement called Kotsina, by the priests of Hephaestus, a specific day of the year. Then, it was transferred to the city of Hephaestia, where it was formed into tablets, and sealed with a special stamp to ensure authenticity of the medicine before its distribution or sale.
The "Lemnian Earth" is considered as the first worldwide standard medicine and occupies a special position from the antiquity to the 19th century not only in Greece but throughout Europe.
Σφραγίδες Λημνίας Γης όπως τις καταγράφει ο Belon (1555) στο βιβλίο του